1 any broad thin expanse or surface; "a sheet of ice"
3 bed linen consisting of a large rectangular piece of cotton or linen cloth; used in pairs [syn: bed sheet]
4 (mathematics) an unbounded two-dimensional shape; "we will refer to the plane of the graph as the X-Y plane"; "any line joining two points on a plane lies wholly on that plane" [syn: plane]
6 a flat artifact that is thin relative to its length and width [syn: flat solid]
7 (nautical) a line (rope or chain) that regulates the angle at which a sail is set in relation to the wind [syn: tack, mainsheet, weather sheet, shroud]
8 a large piece of fabric (as canvas) by means of which wind is used to propel a sailing vessel [syn: sail, canvas, canvass]
1 come down as if in sheets; "The rain was sheeting down during the monsoon"
2 cover with a sheet, as if by wrapping; "sheet the body"
- shēt, /ʃiːt/, /Si:t/
- A thin cloth covering for a bed.
- Use the sheets in the hall closet to make the bed.
- A single rectangular piece of
- Can I have a sheet of paper?
- A flat metal pan used
- Place the rolls on the cookie sheet, edges touching, and bake for 10-11 minutes.
- A thin, flat layer of material; as, a sheet of tinfoil.
- Can I have a sheet of paper?
- A broad, flat expanse of material on the ground; as, a sheet of mud, a sheet of ice.
- In the context of "nautical": A line used to adjust the trim of a sail.
- In the context of "nautical|nonstandard": A sail. (uninformed usage, sheet correctly refers to the line)
- The area of ice on which a curling game is played.
- Chinese: 床单 (chuángdān)
- Czech: prostěradlo
- Danish: lagen
- Dutch: laken
- Finnish: lakana
- French: drap
- German: Laken, Bettlaken
- Hungarian: ágynemű
- Italian: lenzuolo
- Japanese: 敷布, シーツ (shiitsu: 1), 枚, シート (shiito)
- Norwegian: laken
- Portuguese: lençol
- Russian: простыня
- Slovene: rjuha
- Spanish: sábana
- Swedish: lakan
sheet of paper
- Czech: list
- Danish: ark
- Dutch: blad
- Finnish: arkki
- French: feuille
- German: Blatt
- Greek: φύλλο
- Italian: foglio
- Korean: 장
- Norwegian: papir
- Portuguese: folha
- Russian: лист (list)
- Slovene: list
- Spanish: hoja
sheet of material
expanse of material on the ground
- Dutch: laag
- Finnish: kerros
- German: Schicht
- Spanish: capa
- Finnish: purje, rätti
area on ice for curling game
- Finnish: rata
Sheet may refer to:
- Bed sheet, a piece of cloth used to cover a mattress
- Sheet (sailing), a rope, cable or chain used to control a sail
- The playing surface in the sport of curling
- A piece of paper
- A level or section of an early video game (particularly single screen arcade games)
- A kind of dialog box in graphical user interfaces
- A kind of complex plane in mathematics
- A song on the album Pig Lib by Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
People with the name Sheet or Sheets
- Andy Sheets (born 1971), a former shortstop in Major League Baseball
- Ben Sheets (born 1978), a pitcher in Major League Baseball for the Milwaukee Brewers
- Bob Sheets, meteorologist
- Kory Sheets, American college football player
- Larry Sheets (born 1959), a former outfielder in Major League Baseball
- Millard Sheets, American painter
- Eric Haber, American professional poker player, nicknamed Sheets
sheet in Polish: Arkusz
sheet in Portuguese: Folha
sheet in Japanese: シート
afghan, alabaster, area, article, back matter, bed linen, bedclothes, bedcover, bedding, bedsheet, bedspread, blanket, book, buffalo robe, cardboard, case, chalk, chapter, clause, clothes, coat, coating, collop, comfort, comforter, contour sheet, counterpane, cover, covering, coverlet, coverlid, cut, daily, daily newspaper, deal, disk, driven snow, eiderdown, expanse, extra, extra edition, fascicle, feuille, film, fitted sheet, flap, fleece, flour, foam, foil, fold, folio, front matter, gathering, gazette, ivory, journal, lamella, lamina, laminated glass, laminated wood, lamination, lap, lap robe, layer, leaf, lily, linen, maggot, membrane, milk, monthly, national newspaper, neighborhood newspaper, news, newspaper, newspaper of record, number, page, pane, panel, paper, paragraph, passage, patchwork quilt, patina, pearl, peel, pellicle, phrase, pillow slip, pillowcase, plait, plank, plate, plating, ply, plywood, quilt, quire, rag, rasher, ream, robe, rug, safety glass, scum, section, sentence, sheeting, signature, silver, skin, slab, slat, slice, slip, snow, special, special edition, spread, stationery, stratum, stretch, surface, swan, table, tablet, tabloid, text, veneer, verse, wafer, weekly, weekly newspaper